The scholarship opportunities listed below will support post 9/11 military veterans’ undertaking or planning to undertake full-time Graduate level study (Masters, Ph.D. or Postdoctoral Research) in the Australia to USA direction and USA to Australia direction. These scholarships will provide support of up to US $40,000 to use toward travel, living, tuition and other associated educational costs and may be used in conjunction with other veteran support such as the GI Bill.
- Veterans’ Fund Graduate Scholarships (multiple offered in either direction): Supports American and Australian veterans to study in any disciplinary field, in the country of the other.
- AAA-Sentinels of Freedom Scholarship (one offered in either direction): Will support one disabled veteran from Australia and one disabled veteran from America who have been wounded or injured in a post-9/11 service-related event in any disciplinary field, to study in the country of the other.
- AAA-Incitec Pivot Ltd Scholarship & Internship (one offered in either direction): Will support one Australian Veteran and one American Veteran in the field of mining engineering, chemical engineering, business management (operations) or leadership, to study in the country of the other. On successful completion of study, an internship with Dyno Nobel may be offered in Australia or the US.
Applicants do not have to be accepted into an accredited educational institution at the time of application, though should be actively looking for placement. Successful applicants will have up to two years to find a placement at an institution in the country of the other and begin their studies.
Australia to USA: Open for application on January 1 to March 15.
USA to Australia: Open for application on September 1 to October 15 each year.
To be eligible to apply for a Graduate Veteran Scholarship in the Australia to USA direction, applicants must:
- Be an honorably discharged post 9/11 military veteran from Australia;
- Be an Australian citizen or permanent resident (dual US citizens/permanent residents are not eligible);
- Be undertaking or planning to undertake Graduate level study (Masters, Ph.D. or Postdoctoral Research) at an accredited educational institution in the US;
- Be studying or planning to study for a minimum of one-year full-time in the US.
To be eligible to apply for a Graduate Veteran Scholarship in the USA to Australia direction, applicants must:
- Be an honorably discharged post 9/11 military veteran from the USA;
- Be a US citizen or permanent resident (dual Australian citizens/permanent residents are not eligible);
- Be undertaking or planning to undertake Graduate level study (Masters, Ph.D. or Postdoctoral Research) at an accredited educational institution in the Australia;
- Be studying or planning to study for a minimum of one-year full-time in Australia.
Application links to apply online will be made available on this page when each application round is open (as per the dates listed above). Once you have started your application you can save, leave and go back any time before submitting by the due date. Please ensure to save your application each time you exit the browser in case of unforeseen technical difficulties. You will be notified of the results of your application roughly eight weeks after the application deadline, at which shortlisted applicants will receive further instruction. Applicants who are unsuccessful at any point during the reviewing process will also be notified.
The following documents will be required when applying for a Veterans’ scholarship in either direction. All documents that are not images/video should be saved and uploaded as a PDF:
- High resolution colored headshot with a plain white background (minimum 1MB/300 DPI);
- Video presentation (1-2 minutes) introducing yourself and your study/anticipated study in the country of the other;
- Passport biographic page;
- Military discharge papers;
- 1-page resume;
- Academic transcripts from your previous Graduate and/or Undergraduate study;
- Detailed budget outlining expenses and income throughout the year of supported study – please download and use the Veterans’ Scholarships Budget Template as a guide. This is available to download in the application portal;
- Please note: Once the portal is open for application, applicants are also required to request 2 to 3 Letter of Recommendation (LORs) requests to their chosen referee. Referee’s will have until 1 week after the portal officially closes, to submit their LORs. We encourage applicants to submit their referee requests from the portal, as soon as they start their application, to allow the referee’s ample time.
An example of each application can be downloaded here:
For further information please visit the FAQs page.
Please read our Frequently Asked Questions prior to starting an application.