David Nason Journalism Scholarship
David Nason was an Australian news, print and TV journalist covering stories as varied as sports, politics and war time coverage. In his honor, the Nason family created the David Nason Journalism Scholarship in partnership with the AAA.
The David Nason Journalism Scholarship will support either:
- An Australian digital, print, broadcast or multimedia journalism student to undertake Graduate level study at an accredited US educational institution for a minimum of one-year. or;
- An Australian journalist with 5-7 years of work experience to undertake an investigative project with a media outlet in the US.
Applicants must be accepted into an accredited US educational institution or have a formal letter of agreement from a media outlet to apply. Applicants may apply if they have already begun their studies or investigative project in the US.
The Scholarship will award one student up to US $20,000 to support travel, living, tuition or any other associated educational or project costs. This scholarship may be used in conjunction with other sources of funding.
Australia to USA: Open for application on February 1 to March 15 each year.
To be eligible to apply to the David Nason Journalism Scholarship, applicants must:
- Be an Australian citizen or permanent resident (dual US citizens/permanent residents are not eligible);
- Be undertaking or have an offer to undertake Graduate level study (Masters, Ph.D. or Postdoctoral Research) at an accredited educational institution in the US, and studying full-time for a minimum of one year; or
- Have an official agreement/offer to work with a media outlet to pursue an investigative project in the US for a minimum of 3-months.
Application links to apply online will be made available on this page when each application round is open (as per the dates listed above). Once you have started your application you can save, leave and go back any time before submitting by the due date. Please ensure to save your application each time you exit the browser in case of unforeseen technical difficulties. You will be notified of the results of your application roughly eight weeks after the deadline, at which successful applicants will receive further instruction.
The following documents will be required when applying to the David Nason Journalism Scholarship. All documents that are not images/video should be saved and uploaded as a PDF:
- High resolution colored headshot with a plain white background (minimum 1MB/300 DPI);
- Video presentation (1-2 minutes) introducing yourself and your planned study/investigative project in the US;
- Passport biographic page;
- Offer or acceptance letter from your host university or media outlet, confirming your placement and the duration;
- Academic transcripts from your previous Graduate and/or Undergraduate study;
- 1-page resume
- Detailed budget outlining expenses and income throughout the year of supported study – please download and use the Scholarship Budget Template as a guide. Also available to download in the application portal;
- Please note: Once the portal is open for application, applicants are required to request 3x Letter of Recommendation requests. Referee’s will have until 1 week after the portal officially closes, to submit their Letters. We encourage applicants to submit their referee requests from the portal, as soon as they start their application, to allow the referee’s ample time.
An example of the application form can be found here .
For further information please visit the AAA scholarships FAQs page.
Please read our Frequently Asked Questions prior to starting an application.