Specialty Field Scholarships
The Arts Fund supports emerging or early career artists pursuing or planning to pursue artistic development in the Australia to USA and USA to Australia direction. The specialty scholarships outlined below will provide support between US $10,000 – US $30,000 to artists in fields of Fine Art, Fashion and Film Making. Scholarship funds may be used toward travel, living, tuition and other costs associated with the artistic development abroad.
Please read each specialty scholarship outline and follow links to the partnering organizations websites (if need be), as eligibility requirements, application dates and how to apply may vary.
The AAA in partnership with the American Friends of the National Gallery of Australia Inc., offers the AusArt Scholarship to an Australian MA or Graduate student in the fields of fine arts, art history/theory, curatorial studies, arts administration or conservation studies, to support one-year of full-time artistic development at an accredited US educational institution. The AusArt Scholarship will provide support of US $30,000 to be used toward travel, living, tuition and other costs associated with the artistic development abroad.
Open for application on January 1 to March 15.
To be eligible to apply to the AusArt Scholarship, applicants must:
- Be an Australian citizen or permanent resident and applying for artistic development in the USA (dual Australian citizens or permanent residents are not eligible);
- Be applying at graduate-level or above;
- Be undertaking or planning to undertake artistic development for one-year full-time in the US;
- Be an emerging or early career artist;
- Have a formal offer letter from the host body or accredited educational institution at the time of application.
Please also note;
- Applications must be prepared and submit by the artist (not a third party);
- Project commencement date cannot be more than 8 months after the application deadline date;
- If the artist has already begun their artistic development, it cannot be more than 75% complete at the time of the application deadline date;
- You cannot apply if you have already been awarded a scholarship or grant by the AAA.
An example of the Arts Fund application can be found here.
The winner of the AAA – 2020 Australian Fashion Foundation (AUSFF) Scholarship Award will receive a US$20,000 grant and, pending global travel restrictions, an internship with a global fashion powerhouse in the United States in 2021 to gain world class, hands on international experience. Applicants must be enrolled in or be a recent graduate of a degree program, or have 3-5 years work experience in a related field.
To apply, applicants must submit a portfolio including a resume, a link to their Instagram, and proof of Australian citizenship/permanent residency via AUSFF’s online portal. Applications are open through November 22nd, 2020. Applicable fields of study/work include fashion design, fashion marketing, fashion illustration, writing, styling, creative directing, photography, public relations and beyond.
Selected finalists will be invited to participate in the final virtual judging competition which will be held the week of December 7th, 2020. For more information and to apply, students are encouraged to the AUSFF website: www.ausff.org or contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Open for application until November 22, 2020.
The AAA – Australian International Screen Forum (AISF) Scholarship will provide support of US $10,000 to an up-and-coming Australian director wishing to pursue artistic development in the United States for up to 3-months. The award will be given to a director who demonstrates talent working in the Australian screen industries including those with experience in making shorts, feature films, documentary films, or television or digital works. The Scholarship includes placement on a screen project in the United States by the Screen Forum and will include on-set experience.
Please refer to the AISF Website for more information on the eligibility requirements and how to apply.
Open for application on February 1 to March 15, 2020.
Please read our Frequently Asked Questions prior to starting an application.