The American Australian Association – Sustainable Health Care Funding (AAA – SHCF) Scholarship will support one Australian Graduate (Postdoctoral, Ph.D. or Masters) student or researcher of up to US$40,000 to undertake comparative research in the field of health care policy and management in the US. Applicants with specializations, including but not limited to financing and delivery of health care; the organization and management of health care delivery systems; the politics of health care policy reform; the impact of health care policy reform on the delivery of health care; or health care economics are invited to apply. Research focus should include comparisons and lessons learnt from existing Australian and American health care systems. The inclusion of comparisons with New Zealand, Canada or Asian countries is also welcome.
Rational for the Scholarship:
Effective and efficient provision of health care is a key measure of every society. However, the rapid development of innovative (and expensive) treatments and the increasing proportion of retirees in the population are straining existing funding systems for health care. Each country has developed multiple approaches to address these funding issues, both at the taxation/insurance level, and at the patient/treatment level. There are also major differences in approach within countries by region, employment status, and/or insurance scheme design.
The purpose of the AAA – SHCF Scholarship is to encourage comparative research across countries to identify and develop practical approaches that could lead to more sustainable funding systems in Australia and the USA over the next 10-20 years.
WHO CAN APPLY:
In order to apply for the AAA – SHCF Scholarship applicants must:
- Have affiliation, placement or letter of offer from a US University/research institution, or agreement from their Australian institution to undertake the proposed research project in the US;
- Be an Australian citizen or permanent resident going to the US;
- Have prior knowledge or experience in health care administration, and/or a Master’s Degree in Health Care Management;
- Have references that indicate strong professional promise.
Other things to note:
- The duration of research in the US should not be less than three-months and should begin within a year from the application closing date;
- Proposed independent research projects will be considered on a case-by-case basis;
- Placements or exchanges abroad from your existing university to undertake independent research projects may also be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Scholarship funds may be used to support tuition, travel, living expenses and any other associated research costs.
This scholarship is also offered in the USA to Australia direction and applications will be accepted simultaneously.
For inquiries, please contact the Education Manager I email@example.com | 212-338-6860.