J-1 How to Apply
Please ensure that you have read in full the J-1 overview and eligibility requirements.
Before sending your application and payment by mail, please submit a soft copy of your application for preliminary review and acceptance by the American Australian Association to J1visa@aaanyc.org
3) Pay AAA application and membership fees (refer Schedule of Fees). Note: The application and membership fee is payable in full at the time the hard copy application is submitted to the Association.
Payment can be made by:
Name: Chase Bank N.A.
- US drawn check made payable to the 'American Australian Association'
- Credit card (Visa, Mastercard, AMEX) - Payment form
- Wire transfer - If using this method, please be sure to include ANY international
bank transfer fees into the wired amount. The full payment must be received.
American Australian Association bank account details:
Address: 42 Broadway, New York, NY, 10004
Account: 530 978 720
Swift Code: CHASUS33
4) Collect and attach supporting documents (see required documents below)
- Two character reference letters
- Certified copies of each of the following documents must accompany your AAA application
Australian or New Zealand passport – biographic page and all stamped passport pages;
Proof of tertiary enrollment, including completion of first year and ongoing study or graduation certificate
Proof of medical insurance * coverage and purchase receipt
Evidence of sufficient financial funds (at least US $1,500) to cover start up costs
5) Mail the completed and signed application form with payment and supporting documents to:
J-1 Exchange Program
American Australian Association
50 Broadway, Suite 2003
New York NY 10004
AAA will screen your application. If you are eligible we will issue you with a DS-2019 Form.
After you have received your DS-2019 from the Association you must pay the SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System) processing fee. This payment must be made before you can apply to a United States Embassy or Consulate for a visa to the United States. For further information and to pay online please visit https://www.fmjfee.com/i901fee/
Please check the following websites: www.state.gov
or if you are living in Australia canberra.usembassy.gov/exch_visitor_visa.html for current information on how to apply and pay for a J-1 Visa. Usually applicants must make an advance appointment to submit the J-1 visa application and attend an interview at the US Embassy or Consulate in your area.
Note: It is strongly advised that you do not book or pay for airfares or accommodation until after you have received your US visa.
In the event of cancellation the AAA will:
Refund US $550 and membership fee if cancelation is requested prior to issuance of the DS-2019 Form;
No refund on the administrative fee will be provided after issuance of the DS-2019 Form; however the Association will refund the membership fee in full.
Please email program enquiries to: J1visa@aaanyc.org