RECEPTION: Living large in your small NY space
Décor Aid 3-Sep-14
The Student Work and Holiday program is a pilot program which commenced on 31 October 2007 and operates under the current J-1 Exchange Visitor Program Summer Work and Travel regulations.
The new program initiative enables current Australian and New Zealand tertiary level accredited students to live, work and travel in the United States for up to 12 months as J-1 Exchange Visitors.
Participants must organize their own employment prior to / or after arrival. Job placements can range in length from 3 to 12 months. Please review in full the following employment restrictions governing this program category - J1 SWT Employment Conditions Acknowledgement Form. The AAA will provide referral assistance as requested.
To participate in the Exchange Visitor Program (J-1 visa program), prospective student applicants need to apply for sponsorship to an approved organization. The AAA is a State Department-designated J-1 program sponsor. The AAA is authorized to issue the Form DS-2019 to selected, screened visa applicants. Please note that issuance of the Certificate of Eligibility does not automatically assume visa eligibility. Once issued with a DS-2019 Form, applicants must use the form to apply at a US Embassy or Consulate for the J-1 exchange visa. Issuance of the J-1 visa, like all non-immigrant visas, is at the discretion of US Embassy or Consulate officials.
NOTE: Participants cannot be accompanied by their spouse or any dependents.
Applicants must be:
AAA Schedule of Fees
Supplemental Program Costs - not covered by the AAA:
* Medical insurance coverage must include, at a minimum:
How to Apply for Student Work Travel
1) Download and complete the Student Work Travel Participant Application Form
3) Pay AAA application and membership fees (refer Schedule of Fees above)
Note: The application and membership fee is payable in full at the time the application is submitted to the Association. Payment can be made by:
4) Collect and attach supporting documents (see required documents below)
Supporting Documents Required
5) Mail the completed and signed application form with payment and supporting documents to:
J-1 Exchange Program
American Australian Association
50 Broadway, Suite 2003
New York NY 10004
6) AAA will screen your application. If you are eligible we will issue you with a DS-2019 Form.
7) After you have received your DS-2019 from the Association you must pay the SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System) processing fee. This payment must be made before you can apply to a United States Embassy or Consulate for a visa to the United States. For further information and to pay online please visit https://www.fmjfee.com/i901fee/
8) Please check the following websites: www.state.gov; www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/students-and-exchange-visitors
or if you are living in Australia canberra.usembassy.gov/exch_visitor_visa.html
for current information on how to apply and pay for a J-1 Visa. Usually applicants must make an advance appointment to submit the J-1 visa application and attend an interview at the US Embassy or Consulate in your area.
Note: It is strongly advised that you do not book or pay for airfares or accommodation until after you have received your US visa.
In the event of cancelation the AAA will:
Please email program enquiries to J1visa@aaanyc.org